Saturday, February 26, 2011

Mommy Must Haves

It occurred to me today that it would have been so helpful to know what I was getting myself into with pregnancy, birthing, and then of course the time post-pregnancy (BABY♥). Of course I had a pretty good idea of the generalities, but I will certainly be more prepared the next time around.

A few of my absolute necessities while being pregnant included -
Palmer's Cocoa Butter lotion and spray. It's so soothing for stretching, itchy skin and also smells quite lovely.
Tums for the ever frequent heartburn which I had never in my life experienced before being pregnant. It didn't matter if I watched what I ate, stopped eating an hour before bedtime, or drank more water. It was awful! (the good news is, once the baby slipped out, the heartburn disappeared!)
Tylenol PM was very helpful in getting me to sleep at night, and keeping me asleep. My doctor said that I could safely take it every night, however, I decided to be more selective and only took it on Sunday nights. It was helpful in getting my weeks off to a good, rested start. Sleeping is not pleasant, even in the early months, and you take all the help you can get.
Spa days with a good, understanding, willing to listen to your complaining self friend! I tried to get in a pedicure every 6 weeks, especially in the summer. When you are giving your whole self to your baby (gladly, might I add), it's perfectly deserving to take an afternoon for yourself and get your toes prettied up. We usually tried to get in a scrumptious lunch (whatever my craving was), and a shopping trip as well. More to come on spa days...
Now for the days in the hospital...
We were lucky in that we weren't rushing to the hospital to have a baby after my water broke in the cereal isle at the grocery store (my biggest fear in the last few days of pregnancy). Instead, my doctor gave us the option to induce labor, at 6 days past my due date. We were fairly prepared, packed, and calm when we checked in to the hospital the evening before our baby's arrival. So, my one and only absolute MUST HAVE in the hospital.........my husband........who was beyond considerate, attentive, and ready to take out a nurse for sticking me one too many times with a needle while trying to get my IV going. J
I still don't remember certain details about my/our hospital stay, because I kind of had a lot going on, but Kyle was on top of everything and it was super comforting. Although we had the support of family and friends, there was nothing better than the time of day when it was just the 3 of us. Our new little family, trying to feel out this whole parenthood thing and stare at our perfect little girl who has blessed our life beyond our imagination.

Be back later for the rest of the story...it's bedtime!

No comments:

Post a Comment